Friday, March 25, 2011

West African Expedition March 2011

My first trip to Africa was for photographic safaris and even though I loved that visit, I wanted to see the villages and people and how they lived. Well, I just had that chance. My sister and I flew to Johannesburg, South Africa, stayed overnight, then transferred to Walvis Bay, Namibia where we stayed for a couple of nights in a local hotel before boarding the M/V Corinthian II for our expedition cruise. We sailed up the west coast, sailing across the equator, and stopping at Lobito, Angola ... Luanda, Angola ... Pointe Noire, Congo ... Sao Tome and Principe ... Libreville, Gabon ... Kribi, Cameroon ... Limbe, Cameroon ... Cotonou, Benin ... Lome, Togo ... Tema, Ghana. I'm presenting my photos by category rather than by country. I hope you enjoy them.

CHILDREN
The African children we met were mostly happy and friendly and so excited to see themselves on the digital cameras. Occasionally we'd meet a child who wasn't used to white people and the shyness came out - but it didn't usually last long. My first photos are of some of these beautiful children.



We saw a lot of young girls carrying even younger siblings on their backs. They wrap fabric around the child on their backs, and tie it in the front. It seems like a big burden for these young girls.





No comments:

Post a Comment