Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Principe, Tuesday March 8 2011

Principe is the smaller of the 2 islands comprising Sao Tome/Principe. The island's area is about 53 sq. miles and has a population of around 5,000. It is very reminiscent of the south pacific islands or the Hawaiian Islands of old.
At the start of the day, we were visited by several local fisherman who were offering various fish and fruit in trade for big plastic containers or other items of use to them.



It started with one fisherman and within 15 minutes we had 8+. The crew did exchange some plastic oil tubs for fish (which were on the dinner menu).





As the day wore on, the crew disposed of large 50 gallon plastic barrels - in exchange for fruits.







The tour didn't sound very interesting to me, taking into consideration the extreme heat, so I decided to take a Zodiac to the island and walk around and take photos myself. No matter where you pointed your camera, there was an awesome scene to photograph.





This is the small dock area where the Zodiacs tied up. You can see the Corinthian tied up in the deeper water.






I had a quick paddle in the water but had to put my sandals on when I walked on the sand because it was so very hot This little fish was having fun with some of his friends in the very shallow and very warm water.








Upon landing via Zodiac there's a short walk to the resort shown here among the trees. It's a true tropical paradise.





The beach was warm sand and I truly felt like I was at the other end of the world.






I took a walk across this wooden causeway to the other side of the inlet - it was probably 100 yds long. The water was crystal clear, the rocks were black lava rocks - reminiscent of Kauai.









On the other side of the walkway followed by a short walk around a promontory, I found this beach. Tell me this isn't Paradise.








There were wooden cabins dotted about in the hillside and on the beach, among the trees all belonging to the resort.







I took this photo from the wooden walkway, showing the two mountain peaks in the center of the island - they were solely created by volcanic eruptions, like many Pacific islands.







While I was waiting for the Zodiac to return me to the ship I leaned over the dock railing and watched the sea creatures below. There were several of these eels in the water.






The eel may have been attracted by this 'swarm' of small fish.
They were clustered in one big ball - probably for safety - and they were fascinating to watch.









Ah finally here's my Zodiac coming to take me back to the nice cool air conditioned ship.







Upon my return to the Corinthian II we still had some fisherman hanging around the aft Zodiac dock and we had a few others hanging around the side of the ship. Some passengers in the upper decks were tossing apples to them and they were diving into the water to recover those they missed. Seems strange with all the free fruit on the islands, they really wanted apples (and oranges).

No comments:

Post a Comment