Wednesday, June 16, 2010

AFRICAN TREES and WILD FLOWERS

I love taking photos of trees, clouds and rock formations and on this trip I took over 2,000 photos total, most of them were animals but many were trees. I was really surprised by the landscape - it was not what I expected at all. Of course, we went there in their Autumn so there was a lot of grass and the shrubs and trees were all green. I saw trees there that can stay standing for over 100 years after they have died. Here are some of my favorite tree photos.


I love this one because of the reflections of the grasses and the skeleton tree in the middle.






These dead trees were like scarecrows in a farmer's field and we passed them just as the sun was starting to fade.






This is so dramatic. The tree was leaning, the sky was unusual and it was crying out for me to take the photo. I hope you agree.









We saw a lot of these beautiful, symmetrical trees on our safaris. They remind me of those upright plant pot holders with arms out at various heights and potted plants at the ends of each one.






At our first stop, Vumbura, this tree was in the middle of the flooded area just outside the camp itself, so we passed it four times every day. I love the reflection in the water.











It was amazing to find wild flowers and flowering shrubs out in the bush, in the dirt, in amongst weeds, even growing out of trees - so here are a few I'd like to share.







This little flower reminded me of a forget-me-not. I almost stepped on it while we were having our 'sundowners' (a safari break for cocktails and snacks around 6pm) one afternoon.







As you can see, these flowers are in the dirt as well. Isn't it amazing how they find one tiny spot to germinate.











I wish I could tell you the names of these flowers because they deserve to be recognized.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post Jen, like you I loved the flora too.
    Those last flowers are the morning glories we saw among the grasses from Sparks' boat at Vumbura, right?

    I'm still posting too - stop by and leave me a comment when you have time. Tomorrow I'll be at the village.......I can't get those pics out of my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! How awesome for you to be able to travel to so many parts of the world I'm jealous! LOL

    ReplyDelete